by Brendan Dunne
It looks like Nike has come up with a solution for the constant problems causing sneaker launch cancellations as of late.
It just announced a new system for releasing sneakers, wherein people can enter a raffle online to in order to win the opportunity to purchase a pair of shoes. Winners in the system will be selected randomly, and will pick up and purchase the sneakers at a local Nike store.
That the winners are selected randomly seems to suggest that timing won't be an issue. If that's the case, people trying to game the system with bots, which complete the checkout process faster than a human possibly can, wouldn't necessarily have an advantage. Of course, Nike still needs a way to limit how many times people can enter the drawings – each user has to have a Nike+ account and a verified phone number, so that should help.
While the system focuses on in-store pick up, it appears to be a reaction to bots that have plagued online releases. After all, Nike's recent release day woes have stemmed from online releases – in-store ones have gone mostly according to plan with standard raffles. And Nike's standard raffle system isn't really broken per se, as it has the ability to ensure only one entry per person by making entrants present a valid photo ID.
NIKE STORE LAUNCHES - DRAWING
At NIKE, we are committed to creating premium experiences for our consumers around the world. As part of this commitment, NIKE will be piloting a new online drawing system linked to our in-store launch events. Those entering the drawing will have an opportunity to purchase select NIKE launch product at participating NIKE stores in the U.S. See NIKE DRAWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS below.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:
- Using one of our official NIKE store Twitter account, we will announce when/if launch products will be available via an online drawing.
- To participate in the drawing, you must sign in with your NIKE+ account, which will be authenticated through a text message which will be received through your mobile device. If you do not have a NIKE+ account, you can sign up for one here. You will then receive a text message to your mobile device. Currently, only devices offered through a U.S. mobile carrier will be supported. Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) will not be supported as we work to make sure our product lands in the hands of real consumers. Each NIKE+ account will only support one verified mobile number. All registration and verification must be completed in advance of the drawing event. Swoosh.com accounts are not eligible to participate.
- When the drawing is underway, you will select your desired shoe, size and NIKE store purchase location before the allocated time runs out. Styles, sizes, and purchase locations will vary based on product allocations. Entering for more than one shoe style does not impact your odds of being selected.
- Once the drawing is closed and all entries are received, NIKE will conduct a random selection and notify participants of their eligibility to purchase the launch product via email within 24 hours. All entries submitted in the drawing have an equal chance of being selected. Speed of entry is not a factor as long as you submit your entry before the drawing closes.
- Participants that are selected in the drawing will receive purchase details via email.
- At time of purchase, a valid photo ID (state issued, passport, military or school ID) with a first and last name matching the NIKE+ account entered in the drawing is required to purchase the reserved shoes at the location stated in the drawing. Participants will not be able to transfer their eligibility to others.
- All unclaimed products will not be available for purchase at another time.
- Abuse and/or policy violations within the system will result in cancelation or disqualification in future events.
We take feedback seriously at NIKE and are dedicated to piloting ways that heps get our products in the hands of real consumers.
A Nike+ account, valid email address, and mobile phone number are required.
Don’t have a Nike+ account? Create one for free here.
One entry per person per launch product.
NIKE reserves the right to cancel winning entries. See below for the terms.
Winning entries are valid only at the selected NIKE store during the specified timeframe on the launch date. A valid photo ID is required to purchase.
You must be able to purchase in person at the selected NIKE store on launch day during the timeframe specified in the confirmation email. Valid photo ID is required(state issued, passport, military or school ID) with a first and last name that matches the first and last name tied to your Nike+ account. You may also be required to answer additional security questions to prove your identity. No proxies or transfers will be allowed and phone requests or adjustments will not be honored. Unclaimed pairs will not be made available for purchase at a later time.
Submitted entries cannot be modified.
NIKE employees cannot change confirmed NIKE store, shoe style or shoe size entries.
Entries are not transferrable.
Winning entries cannot be sold, transferred, assigned or otherwise provided to anyone else. Evidence of such behavior by any account holder will result in disqualification. Entries have no cash value and are not redeemable for cash or for credit towards any purchase. NIKE will only redeem winning entries to the owners of the selected NIKE+ accounts.
The drawing process is subject to change at any time at NIKE’s sole discretion.
Please contact your participating NIKE store if you have any questions regarding the online drawing system or any entries you’ve submitted.