X
X
Go to page: of 177 |   |  Next |  Last
Listings:
Here is a home made replacment for Sea Glow to cure the problem of yellowing soles. This originated as a method old nintendo collectors used to remove yellowing from their plastic nintendo consoles. I decided to try it on shoes! Hope you all enjoy and this works out for you!

Here is the YouTube link to the tutorial:

I hope you all enjoy!

Nikolas:
Tip, use a dark tinted plastic when dealing with the mixture. If not, the hydrogen peroxide will break down and turn into water and oxygen.

Quote:
The packaging of hydrogen peroxide in brown bottles is essential to ensure that it retains its chemical properties. If hydrogen peroxide is heated or is exposed to trace amounts of metal or metal ions it turns into water or oxygen. Glass bottles sometimes have small amounts of alkali metal ions dissolved in it. This is why plastic bottles or glass bottles coated with wax are used instead.

Here is my indoor setup tutorial including my results on icy soles:

On using high percentages of hydrogen peroxide

jigga79:
I've been doing some research online and on the retr0bright wiki. They mention if you use higher concentration of peroxide it can cause damage to the surface of the plastic/rubber in what they call a "White Bloom". They also mention that letting the retr0bright dry out in the sun can cause this effect as well. Below is the statement they made on using more peroxide

"This is a process where more isn't better; we are deliberately keeping the peroxide strength on the weaker side, so that the bromine molecules are favoured by the peroxide over the polymer; If you use very strong peroxide or add loads of Oxy, one of the side effects you might see is where the polymer gets attacked and turned to the hydroperoxide, usually by attacking the free butadiene bonds. What you will see is that the plastic takes on a white, ashen-looking "bloom" that unfortunately is permanent. This cannot be fixed and should be avoided."

You can read up more on this info on their wiki page. Just thought I'll bring this up, don't want to hear people destroying their kicks. I think I'm going to try this out this weekend on some Jordan XI

flyflip15:
I could be wrong but when everyone is saying they're using "40%" they could actually be only using 12% for those who are purchasing they're hyrdrogen peroxide at the beauty stores you may be mislead with the "VOL 40" label thinking it contains 40% peroxide.

The peroxide for sale at beauty stores will have the following labels: V10, V20, V30, V40. Some brands may also say the percentage of peroxide along with the volume. Some may not.

This VOLUME...... contains this PERCENTAGE
of hydrogen peroxide
10 volume or V10 3%
20 volume or V20 6%
30 volume or V30 9%
40 volume or V40 12%

heres a link for more info: http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/hairdressing-peroxide.html

Here is another setup option:

phreak23:
Doing research on bulbs, 10.0 UVB seems to be the highest you can get. If you have a 24" set up these should be great. Produce no heat and large % of UVB/UVA, I just ordered two. I want to see quicker and better results

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/-/exo-terra-24-repti-glo-100-uvb-bulb/
www.youtube.com/sneakerrevival

www.twitter.com/sneakerrevival
Last edited on 6th March 2013 14:30 edited 12 times in total
Admin / C.C.
Admin / C.C.
Listings:
Just checked it out. Anyone on the fence about checking out this video, click it and watch it. Definitely worthwhile and I'm going to try when I get the supplies. You should embed it in your post. Put [youtube] (url) [/youtube]. Thanks for a great vid.
Sneaker Doctor x Counterfeit Cartel
Click to show pictures
2012 SC Restorer of the Year
Click to show pictures
www.facebook.com/flip.restorations
The Customs & Restorations Forum. Learn something new.
Listings:
Nikolas:
Just checked it out. Anyone on the fence about checking out this video, click it and watch it. Definitely worthwhile and I'm going to try when I get the supplies. You should embed it in your post. Put [youtube] (url) [/youtube]. Thanks for a great vid.

okay I embedded it thanks!

Forum Master
Forum Master
Listings:
Awesome! Thanks for the vid man. Would this work on dunks with white midsoles?
Listings:
Id say definitely! Just have to try it! Rubber midsole just like the 4's i did so id say its def worth a shot

Much Respect
Much Respect
Listings:
definitely going to try this out.
In The Game
In The Game
Listings:
Nike1972:

Same here definatley because it seems way cheaper than seaglowing. I also checked out restore my sneakers and they have something coming out that works great.
I NEED OF JORDAN 2s 5s and 10s (SIZE 12) CHEAPER JORDANS ALL SZ 12 - 13 and SUPREME CAMPS for reasonable prices.
Listings:
Hm, that might be what restoremysneakers "secret method" is
Admin / C.C.
Admin / C.C.
Listings:
iJUSTGO:

Yeah I was thinking the same.
Sneaker Doctor x Counterfeit Cartel
Click to show pictures
2012 SC Restorer of the Year
Click to show pictures
www.facebook.com/flip.restorations
The Customs & Restorations Forum. Learn something new.
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Listings:
a worthwhile thread I'd say...gnna try out on some yellowing 60 plus' to see if they work on icy soles then move onto some OG 11's if they work. Thanks bro!
Get to the point where you think of your paycheck in terms of how many pairs of shoes you can get, then talk to me...
OPTIONS
View Toolbar
View Emotions
Email thread updates
Here is a home made replacment for Sea Glow to cure the problem of yellowing soles. This originated as a method old nintendo collectors used to remove yellowing from their plastic nintendo consoles. I decided to try it on shoes! Hope you all enjoy and this works out for you! Here is the YouTube link to the tutorial: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xd2p1O6P5s[/youtube] I hope you all enjoy! [quote="Nikolas"]Tip, use a dark tinted plastic when dealing with the mixture. If not, the hydrogen peroxide will break down and turn into water and oxygen. [quote]The packaging of hydrogen peroxide in brown bottles is essential to ensure that it retains its chemical properties. If hydrogen peroxide is heated or is exposed to trace amounts of metal or metal ions it turns into water or oxygen. Glass bottles sometimes have small amounts of alkali metal ions dissolved in it. This is why plastic bottles or glass bottles coated with wax are used instead.[/quote][/quote] Here is my indoor setup tutorial including my results on icy soles: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ogLW6zYgv8&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube] On using high percentages of hydrogen peroxide [quote:16babc3576="jigga79"]I've been doing some research online and on the retr0bright wiki. They mention if you use higher concentration of peroxide it can cause damage to the surface of the plastic/rubber in what they call a "White Bloom". They also mention that letting the retr0bright dry out in the sun can cause this effect as well. Below is the statement they made on using more peroxide "This is a process where more isn't better; we are deliberately keeping the peroxide strength on the weaker side, so that the bromine molecules are favoured by the peroxide over the polymer; If you use very strong peroxide or add loads of Oxy, one of the side effects you might see is where the polymer gets attacked and turned to the hydroperoxide, usually by attacking the free butadiene bonds. What you will see is that the plastic takes on a white, ashen-looking "bloom" that unfortunately is permanent. This cannot be fixed and should be avoided." You can read up more on this info on their wiki page. Just thought I'll bring this up, don't want to hear people destroying their kicks. I think I'm going to try this out this weekend on some Jordan XI[/quote:16babc3576] [quote:16babc3576="flyflip15"]I could be wrong but when everyone is saying they're using "40%" they could actually be only using 12% for those who are purchasing they're hyrdrogen peroxide at the beauty stores you may be mislead with the "VOL 40" label thinking it contains 40% peroxide. The peroxide for sale at beauty stores will have the following labels: V10, V20, V30, V40. Some brands may also say the percentage of peroxide along with the volume. Some may not. This VOLUME...... contains this PERCENTAGE of hydrogen peroxide 10 volume or V10 3% 20 volume or V20 6% 30 volume or V30 9% 40 volume or V40 12% heres a link for more info: http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/hairdressing-peroxide.html[/quote:16babc3576] Here is another setup option: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bE5y1MDcE[/youtube] [quote:16babc3576="phreak23"]Doing research on bulbs, 10.0 UVB seems to be the highest you can get. If you have a 24" set up these should be great. Produce no heat and large % of UVB/UVA, I just ordered two. I want to see quicker and better results :lol: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/-/exo-terra-24-repti-glo-100-uvb-bulb/[/quote:16babc3576]
[quote:e37ef9e42d="Nikolas"]Just checked it out. Anyone on the fence about checking out this video, click it and watch it. Definitely worthwhile and I'm going to try when I get the supplies. You should embed it in your post. Put [youtube] (url) [/youtube]. Thanks for a great vid.[/quote:e37ef9e42d] okay I embedded it thanks!
Awesome! Thanks for the vid man. Would this work on dunks with white midsoles?
Id say definitely! Just have to try it! Rubber midsole just like the 4's i did so id say its def worth a shot
[quote:1c1e4b36d5="Nike1972"]definitely going to try this out.[/quote:1c1e4b36d5] Same here definatley because it seems way cheaper than seaglowing. I also checked out restore my sneakers and they have something coming out that works great.
[quote:0b73bd72f3="iJUSTGO"]Hm, that might be what restoremysneakers "secret method" is[/quote:0b73bd72f3] Yeah I was thinking the same.
a worthwhile thread I'd say...gnna try out on some yellowing 60 plus' to see if they work on icy soles then move onto some OG 11's if they work. Thanks bro!
Page 1 of 177
Last»10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 «