X
X
Go to page: of 116 |   Previous  |  Next |  Last
Sneakerpimps
Sneakerpimps
Listings:
dishwab:
[quote:b0c22cecb0="jim157"][quote:b0c22cecb0="memil"]oh, the canaries! been a while since they played top division football.. mid 90s something?

We last had a season in the Prem in 04/05. We are currently top of league 1 (division 3) and still averaging gates of 25,000. Hopefully one day we'll be back in the top flight...[/quote:b0c22cecb0]

Jim, maybe you can shed some light on this as it was before my time following English football, but what was the original idea behind the Premier League? My instincts tell me nothing but greed (and I know our very own David Dein played a big part in it). Seems like the old first, second, third, and fourth division would work just fine without a need for premier leagues and championships.

When I try to explain to people here that League 1 = division 3 I just get blank stares.[/quote:b0c22cecb0]

Yeah money was a big part in it. Before the premier league there wasn't that much money in the game, crowds were down due to hooliganism and crumbling stadiums. The Hillsborough disaster (and Heysel before it) brought about a gentrification of the working class game, stadiums became all seater and generally safer places to watch the game. I think in the beginning most fans were very happy to see all this investment from the Sky tv money but (imo) it has ruined the game over the past ten years or so. Players wages and their agents fees have all but financially crippled the majority of the clubs. Even with the revenue they earn from TV rights, sponsorship and the ridiculously expensive ticket prices they cant even keep even keep their heads above water.

I think (and hope) that the bubble will burst soon and we return to a semblance of normality. Players earning £150,000 a week is scandalous and ultimately unsustainable.
http://antisocialmusic.blogspot.com/
Grail Status
Grail Status
Listings:
Yeah, even as a supporter of a big club I wish there was more competition and finanical fair play in the league, and by competition I don't mean an oil Sheik using Manchester City as his play thing. I'm a sucker for nostaligia, and even though I never experienced the years you are talking about, when I was in the UK I loved going to check out older grounds like Highbury, WHL, Loftus Road, Selhurst etc.
ARSENAL FC
Wanted (9-10): Air Max 87 - Greystone | New Balance 1500 BWR | New Balance M577 GRF
Flickr

Grail Status
Grail Status
Listings:
jim157:
I tried to dress the part though

Who didn't?

I even had a pair of Prada Americas Cup back in 2004/05
Click to show pictures

Oh well, i managed to get back into decent trainers after that mistake.
Nikon D200 w/ MB-D200 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 K | Nikkor 35mm f/2.0 Ai | Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF-D & K | Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 K | Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 Ai
Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED AF-S | Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 ED AF-S | Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR | Meyer Telemegor 400mm f/5.5 (Nikon F Mount)

WANTED:
Huarache LE (White/Lilac-Neon Pink) wmns sz12-13
Huarache LE (White/Melon) wmns sz12-13
Huarache LE (White/Royal Blue-Scream Green) sz11-12 (OG w/ Square Tag)
Forum Master
Forum Master
Listings:
memil:
Hopefully it will be a lot of Europa League this season, but I'm not worried about next
I doubt any team will beat Chelsea for the PL this year .. CL is a bit more open and I really hope Bayern can put up a fight against the usual suspects.

bayern never puts up a fight. English football reigns supreme. If anythin i predict at least 2 of the top 4 will be english teams. Then barca then i dont know.
Diamond Supply Co. Smoke RIngs Tees Black and white Medium 40$ each NEW IN WRAPPER!

UNDFTD CAMO 5 strike shirt M NEW in wrapper FLAT
Grail Status
Grail Status
Listings:
I just had an ebay member offer to buy an item at $130 even though no one bid at $75. I end the item and he lowers his offer to $80. Waste of time and 25 cents.
Listings:
How are the people in New York and the North East of the States doing? I was just checking out some news on the net and saw it has snowed heavily again... Hope y'all doing fine!

Over here in the Netherlands the snow is finally gone and it's getting warmer.. It's getting time for summer again!
Wanted DS US12 AM1 Urawa!
Much Respect
Much Respect
Listings:
it sucks over here... the roads were TERRIBLE yesterday, couldnt go more than 15 mph.. my car got stuck one of the streets too but i got home safely..

did u ever order a pair of IDs?
FOR SALE
Vintage Nike Air Pegasus 93 http://solecollector.com/Sneakers/Marketplace/325117/vintagenike-air-pegasus1/?

"I want the money, the women, the fortune and fame..that means I'll end up burning hell scorching in flames"
Forum Master
Forum Master
Listings:
marco23d:
I just had an ebay member offer to buy an item at $130 even though no one bid at $75. I end the item and he lowers his offer to $80. Waste of time and 25 cents.

I noticed you had ended your auction. Are you going to put them back on Ebay?
My gym is different than other gyms. And I am different because of my gym.
Grail Status
Grail Status
Listings:
marco23d:

so, what happened? did u re-list them or sell them to that clown? people like that fuckin' kill me!!!
Listings:
PurpleHeadedYogurtSlinger:
it sucks over here... the roads were TERRIBLE yesterday, couldnt go more than 15 mph.. my car got stuck one of the streets too but i got home safely..

did u ever order a pair of IDs?

That sucks man! Hope the weather doesn't stay this bad for you guys!

Yeah I did order them, but already send them back. I will post the pictures in the ID topic this weekend if I have time for it. Wasn't pleased with the roundness of the toebox. One was round and the other one was like a square.. Wonder if other people have had issues with this too.

Did you still order another pair?
Wanted DS US12 AM1 Urawa!
OPTIONS
View Toolbar
View Emotions
Email thread updates
[quote:b0c22cecb0="dishwab"][quote:b0c22cecb0="jim157"][quote:b0c22cecb0="memil"]oh, the canaries! been a while since they played top division football.. mid 90s something?[/quote:b0c22cecb0] We last had a season in the Prem in 04/05. We are currently top of league 1 (division 3) and still averaging gates of 25,000. Hopefully one day we'll be back in the top flight...[/quote:b0c22cecb0] Jim, maybe you can shed some light on this as it was before my time following English football, but what was the original idea behind the Premier League? My instincts tell me nothing but greed (and I know our very own David Dein played a big part in it). Seems like the old first, second, third, and fourth division would work just fine without a need for premier leagues and championships. When I try to explain to people here that League 1 = division 3 I just get blank stares.[/quote:b0c22cecb0] Yeah money was a big part in it. Before the premier league there wasn't that much money in the game, crowds were down due to hooliganism and crumbling stadiums. The Hillsborough disaster (and Heysel before it) brought about a gentrification of the working class game, stadiums became all seater and generally safer places to watch the game. I think in the beginning most fans were very happy to see all this investment from the Sky tv money but (imo) it has ruined the game over the past ten years or so. Players wages and their agents fees have all but financially crippled the majority of the clubs. Even with the revenue they earn from TV rights, sponsorship and the ridiculously expensive ticket prices they cant even keep even keep their heads above water. I think (and hope) that the bubble will burst soon and we return to a semblance of normality. Players earning £150,000 a week is scandalous and ultimately unsustainable.
Yeah, even as a supporter of a big club I wish there was more competition and finanical fair play in the league, and by competition I don't mean an oil Sheik using Manchester City as his play thing. I'm a sucker for nostaligia, and even though I never experienced the years you are talking about, when I was in the UK I loved going to check out older grounds like Highbury, WHL, Loftus Road, Selhurst etc.
[quote:5fedd98a22="jim157"] I tried to dress the part though[/quote:5fedd98a22] :lol: Who didn't? I even had a pair of Prada Americas Cup back in 2004/05 :stone: [img:5fedd98a22]http://www.raffaello-network.com/item_images/americanscupbiancat.jpg[/img:5fedd98a22] Oh well, i managed to get back into decent trainers after that mistake.
[quote:432e552f63="memil"]Hopefully it will be a lot of Europa League this season, but I'm not worried about next :) I doubt any team will beat Chelsea for the PL this year .. CL is a bit more open and I really hope Bayern can put up a fight against the usual suspects.[/quote:432e552f63] bayern never puts up a fight. English football reigns supreme. If anythin i predict at least 2 of the top 4 will be english teams. Then barca then i dont know.
I just had an ebay member offer to buy an item at $130 even though no one bid at $75. I end the item and he lowers his offer to $80. :smh: Waste of time and 25 cents.
How are the people in New York and the North East of the States doing? I was just checking out some news on the net and saw it has snowed heavily again... Hope y'all doing fine! Over here in the Netherlands the snow is finally gone and it's getting warmer.. It's getting time for summer again!
it sucks over here... the roads were TERRIBLE yesterday, couldnt go more than 15 mph.. my car got stuck one of the streets too but i got home safely.. did u ever order a pair of IDs?
[quote:14e48be489="marco23d"]I just had an ebay member offer to buy an item at $130 even though no one bid at $75. I end the item and he lowers his offer to $80. :smh: Waste of time and 25 cents.[/quote:14e48be489] I noticed you had ended your auction. Are you going to put them back on Ebay?
[quote:5c7d922cdf="marco23d"]I just had an ebay member offer to buy an item at $130 even though no one bid at $75. I end the item and he lowers his offer to $80. :smh: Waste of time and 25 cents.[/quote:5c7d922cdf] so, what happened? did u re-list them or sell them to that clown? people like that fuckin' kill me!!!
[quote:4ef0f4e129="PurpleHeadedYogurtSlinger"]it sucks over here... the roads were TERRIBLE yesterday, couldnt go more than 15 mph.. my car got stuck one of the streets too but i got home safely.. did u ever order a pair of IDs?[/quote:4ef0f4e129] That sucks man! Hope the weather doesn't stay this bad for you guys! Yeah I did order them, but already send them back. I will post the pictures in the ID topic this weekend if I have time for it. Wasn't pleased with the roundness of the toebox. One was round and the other one was like a square.. Wonder if other people have had issues with this too. Did you still order another pair?
Page 9 of 116