X
X
Go to page: of 4 |   |  Next |  Last
Forum Mod
Listings:
Greetings fam. I work for a major automobile insurance company (which I'll refrain from mentioning per Social Media Guidelines) and have decided to offer my assistance with any insurance-related questions that you may have.

I'll start a FAQ on the post following the OP and continually update it with any valuable questions or information.

Disclaimer: The advice/information given comes from my experience as a claim adjuster for ONE insurance company. Different companies may have different policy guidelines and policies DO differ from state to state.
AVYinc x therealvillains x The Works

Hi, my name is Isaac and I'm here to help.
Questions about the Forum? PM me.

Fraud / Fakes / Feedback Disputes? Please open a ticket:
http://solecollector.com/Contact-Us/

Korupshun:
I'm going to call you,
ISS Forum Regulator
Forum Mod
Listings:
Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: If my car is totaled will the insurance pay for my aftermarket (insert part here)?
A: No, not unless that part is specifically insured or "endorsed" on the policy. This is common for wheels and stereos. Most companies will insure you up to a given value for these items (for an additional charge of course).

Q: The other guy hit me (is at fault) and my supercharger is now broken or the other guy hit me (is at fault) and my car is totaled. I have x amount in mods on the car. Is his/her insurance required to pay for these parts?
A: Yes! They are required to. However, they will likely try to lowball you for the wear and tear on said part. Also, keep your receipts for this reason!

Q: What should I do if the other guy/gals insurance is lowballing me on my totaled vehicle or damaged part?
A: You have 2 options: Small claims (the amount, which can be sued for varies by state). This is by far the easiest and cheapest option. Option 2: Get an attorney involved (probably not at all worth it due to the cost of the attorney).

Q: My insurance is lowballing me on my totaled vehicle. What can I do?
A: You can take your insurance company to arbitration (your insurance has to pay for the arbitrator, but be ready to pay for experts and possibly an attorney). Also, if they continue to really lowball you, you may want to sue them for "bad faith." Essentially not holding up their end of the bargain. You will need an attorney for this, but they will likely work on a contingency fee and if you win at trial you could end up with a VERY large settlement. Lowballing is truly quite rare. It's more than likely you think your vehicle is worth more than it truly is (I hate to say this, but in my experience it's the case 99.9% of the time).

Q: My car got damaged in an accident. I took it to a shop to have it repaired and it's still not right. What can I do?
A: Take it back again, and again, and again until it's right and demand a rental car from the shop! NOTE: If you used the insurance company's "select repair facility," they have an obligation to correct any mistake that they may have caused (usually for the lifetime that you own your vehicle). HOWEVER, if you took your car to your "body shop of choice," there is very little your insurance company can do for you.

Q: I crashed my car at the track. Will my insurance cover it?
A: No. Your policy will exclude "speed contests" (or some other similar language) on your policy.

Q: Can my insurance decide to not cover me (after I had an accident) due to mods?
A: Yes, but it's HIGHLY unlikely. If they find out after an accident it's more likely that they will simply cancel you.

Special note to street racers and those who drive a vehicle intoxicated:
If you are in an accident and cause injury/death to another person you can be held liable for "punitive damages". Punitive damages cannot be "erased" by bankruptcy...ever...You will never be able to buy a home, lease/finance a car, etc. until the damages are paid in full, your property can be sold to pay the damages, etc. Your insurance will NOT pay these damages!

Korupshun:
I'm going to call you,
ISS Forum Regulator
Last edited on 7th February 2013 00:51 edited 4 times in total
JUSSBLAZE.
JUSSBLAZE.
Listings:
Good info. Sucks to know my car is worthless in a crash though lol.
Formerly M4A1, who was formerly Brian.
Forum Mod
Listings:
GRMLCK:

there's always things like diminished value to help you out with that

Korupshun:
I'm going to call you,
ISS Forum Regulator
Last edited on 7th February 2013 02:25 edited 1 times in total
Forum Master
Forum Master
Listings:
What if I crash my car, the insurance covers the objects I hit but not my car?
Btw is $125(full coverage) a month good on a family plan?
Looking for sz 8 Jordan III Black Cement 08' or 11'

Last edited on 7th February 2013 22:24 edited 1 times in total
JUSSBLAZE.
JUSSBLAZE.
Listings:
At your age...YES! I forget how much I pay since it's twice a year but it's not too bad. I would guess no matter how you crash your car, the at fault party's insurance would be the one paying for it. If it covers everything but the car I think it's called liability only ins.
Formerly M4A1, who was formerly Brian.
Forum Master
Forum Master
Listings:
Oh, alritey thanks man!

Forum Mod
Listings:
riceeeeeeeeee:
What if I crash my car, the insurance covers the objects I hit but not my car?
Btw is $125(full coverage) a month good on a family plan?

full coverage is a BROAD term, which i often explain to my insureds. there are two types of coverage, liability coverage and first party coverage. i'll explain the difference below:

to drive in the most of the states in the US, you are required to carry LIABILITY COVERAGE, which protects YOU from damaging someone else's property or hurting someone else. this coverage has no deductible involved, meaning that YOU pay nothing for the other person's damages.
HOWEVER, each state has different required limites (i.e in CA it's $5K in property damage and $15K/30K in bodily injury), if you damage someone else's car or hurt someone else beyond your limits, you MAY be held liable for the damages exceeding your limits (in simplerer terms, you can be sued). therefore, it is always good to carry more than the state minimum (i carry the maximum coverage in CA)

if you want to protect YOUR CAR from being in an accident that is/is not your fault through your insurance company, you would want to carry collision coverage. this coverage does carry a deductible (of your choosing). if you're not at-fault for an accident, your insurance company would then bill the other party's insurance for reimbursement for your deductible. HOWEVER, there is no guarantee and no set time frame (and if it's a hit-and-run, you're usually SOL)

if you want to protect your car from theft, vandalism, acts of nature, etc, you would want to carry comprehensive coverage. this coverage also carries a deductible of your choosing.

there are more first party coverages that differ by state, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask

Korupshun:
I'm going to call you,
ISS Forum Regulator
Forum Master
Forum Master
Listings:
Thanks JDM, you sure know alot! Always good to give your customers a in depth analysis of what they are getting and im sure they are satisfied!

Forum Mod
Listings:
helps when bonus time comes around

Korupshun:
I'm going to call you,
ISS Forum Regulator
OPTIONS
View Toolbar
View Emotions
Email thread updates
Greetings fam. I work for a major automobile insurance company (which I'll refrain from mentioning per Social Media Guidelines) and have decided to offer my assistance with any insurance-related questions that you may have. I'll start a FAQ on the post following the OP and continually update it with any valuable questions or information. [b]Disclaimer:[/b] The advice/information given comes from my experience as a claim adjuster for ONE insurance company. Different companies may have different policy guidelines and policies DO differ from state to state.
[b]F[/b]requently [b]A[/b]sked [b]Q[/b]uestions: [b]Q:[/b] If my car is totaled will the insurance pay for my aftermarket (insert part here)? [b]A:[/b] No, not unless that part is specifically insured or "endorsed" on the policy. This is common for wheels and stereos. Most companies will insure you up to a given value for these items (for an additional charge of course). [b]Q:[/b] The other guy hit me (is at fault) and my supercharger is now broken or the other guy hit me (is at fault) and my car is totaled. I have x amount in mods on the car. Is his/her insurance required to pay for these parts? [b]A:[/b] Yes! They are required to. However, they will likely try to lowball you for the wear and tear on said part. Also, keep your receipts for this reason! [b]Q:[/b] What should I do if the other guy/gals insurance is lowballing me on my totaled vehicle or damaged part? [b]A:[/b] You have 2 options: Small claims (the amount, which can be sued for varies by state). This is by far the easiest and cheapest option. Option 2: Get an attorney involved (probably not at all worth it due to the cost of the attorney). [b]Q:[/b] My insurance is lowballing me on my totaled vehicle. What can I do? [b]A:[/b] You can take your insurance company to arbitration (your insurance has to pay for the arbitrator, but be ready to pay for experts and possibly an attorney). Also, if they continue to really lowball you, you may want to sue them for "bad faith." Essentially not holding up their end of the bargain. You will need an attorney for this, but they will likely work on a contingency fee and if you win at trial you could end up with a VERY large settlement. Lowballing is truly quite rare. It's more than likely you think your vehicle is worth more than it truly is (I hate to say this, but in my experience it's the case 99.9% of the time). [b]Q:[/b] My car got damaged in an accident. I took it to a shop to have it repaired and it's still not right. What can I do? [b]A:[/b] Take it back again, and again, and again until it's right and demand a rental car from the shop! NOTE: If you used the insurance company's "select repair facility," they have an obligation to correct any mistake that they may have caused (usually for the lifetime that you own your vehicle). HOWEVER, if you took your car to your "body shop of choice," there is very little your insurance company can do for you. [b]Q:[/b] I crashed my car at the track. Will my insurance cover it? [b]A:[/b] No. Your policy will exclude "speed contests" (or some other similar language) on your policy. [b]Q:[/b] Can my insurance decide to not cover me (after I had an accident) due to mods? [b]A:[/b] Yes, but it's HIGHLY unlikely. If they find out after an accident it's more likely that they will simply cancel you. [b][u]Special note to street racers and those who drive a vehicle intoxicated:[/b][/u] If you are in an accident and cause injury/death to another person you can be held liable for "punitive damages". Punitive damages cannot be "erased" by bankruptcy...ever...You will never be able to buy a home, lease/finance a car, etc. until the damages are paid in full, your property can be sold to pay the damages, etc. Your insurance will NOT pay these damages!
[quote="GRMLCK"]Good info. Sucks to know my car is worthless in a crash though lol.[/quote] there's always things like diminished value to help you out with that :)
What if I crash my car, the insurance covers the objects I hit but not my car? Btw is $125(full coverage) a month good on a family plan?
At your age...YES! I forget how much I pay since it's twice a year but it's not too bad. I would guess no matter how you crash your car, the at fault party's insurance would be the one paying for it. If it covers everything but the car I think it's called liability only ins.
Oh, alritey thanks man!
[quote="riceeeeeeeeee"]What if I crash my car, the insurance covers the objects I hit but not my car? Btw is $125(full coverage) a month good on a family plan?[/quote] full coverage is a BROAD term, which i often explain to my insureds. there are two types of coverage, liability coverage and first party coverage. i'll explain the difference below: to drive in the most of the states in the US, you are required to carry LIABILITY COVERAGE, which protects YOU from damaging someone else's property or hurting someone else. this coverage has no deductible involved, meaning that YOU pay nothing for the other person's damages. HOWEVER, each state has different required limites (i.e in CA it's $5K in property damage and $15K/30K in bodily injury), if you damage someone else's car or hurt someone else beyond your limits, you MAY be held liable for the damages exceeding your limits (in simplerer terms, you can be sued). therefore, it is always good to carry more than the state minimum (i carry the maximum coverage in CA) if you want to protect YOUR CAR from being in an accident that is/is not your fault through your insurance company, you would want to carry collision coverage. this coverage does carry a deductible (of your choosing). if you're not at-fault for an accident, your insurance company would then bill the other party's insurance for reimbursement for your deductible. HOWEVER, there is no guarantee and no set time frame (and if it's a hit-and-run, you're usually SOL) if you want to protect your car from theft, vandalism, acts of nature, etc, you would want to carry comprehensive coverage. this coverage also carries a deductible of your choosing. there are more first party coverages that differ by state, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)
Thanks JDM, you sure know alot! Always good to give your customers a in depth analysis of what they are getting and im sure they are satisfied!
helps when bonus time comes around :wink:
Page 1 of 4
»4 3 2 1 «