Months ago | 25th February 2012 17:54
ALL OF THIS !
Its a lot of factors into why certain releases get all the crazed attention and make the culture look bad. As someone mention, we just like to have what everyone else doesn't. And the shoe companies and retailers feed into that ego. I think thats where the problem begins in ernest. I think Nike has learned from making more available like someone said earlier about the Pearl Foamposite release or the Cough Drops. When they were HOH exclusives everyone HAD TO have em because they were hard to get. Nike decided to release GRs and they are still sitting in outlets and stores. So now every release is going with this limited approach. 18-20 pairs a store though? I don't think it should be THAT limited. Especially if you see media coverage and thousands of folks line up.
1) Stores know how many pairs they have up front, the shipments come in early. If you have 18-20 pairs, they shouldn't let thousands of people line up thinking that since the shoe they really want is gone, they will settle for the crap that sitting in the store. Im only here for "X" shoe, we not gonna settle for that crap that been there for months. They need to stop that.
2) Let folks know. If a certain size is gone, let people know so the line can disperse. While some people (resellers, people looking/hoping for trades) might stay on line, at least some folks would get off seeing how they can't get their size.
3) Over hype machine. We gotta cut down these sneaker blogs and forums power over the culture. How many "detail images" post do we need? If there is no big changes to the kicks, I shouldn't see 6 post in ONE WEEK on the same shoe. And they do this for months at a time. The galaxy foams, we have seen 1,000 photos of the same shoe for months, then you gonna give us a release reminder like all of sudden we forgot about a shoe you spent HALF THE FUCKIN YEAR hyping up to us.
4) Spread release dates out. I think this is apart of a bigger plan to keep us poor and financially stagnate but thats another topic. Anyways, even though we don't need to buy EVERY release, they create a culture of "if you call yourself a sneaker head and you don't have these shoes right here, yea these super limited joints right here, YOU AINT SHIT" In FEB, we had the Cement 4s, the Dave White 1s, The ASG pack, Galaxy Foams, Red Foams, Air Flight 1s, JS Wings and so forth. Thats over $1,000 in shoes AT RETAIL. Nevermind eBay and these "sneaker boutiques" that over charge.
5) Will power. This is the biggest change that needs to occur. We as the people of the culture, should take more of a stand in how things are handles IN OUR CULTURE. You're sick of re-sellers, do not purchase from them. Sick of high prices at flightclub or kixclusive and where ever else? Do not buy from them. We need to speak with our wallets. Show these greedy mothafuckas that we run this. THIS IS OUR SHIT. We can't come in here, and tell me how much I should pay for a sneaker that Nike already gave a price for. Its hard seeing how we have this I NEED EVERY LIMITED PAIR OR I AINT SHIT thing going on, but we need to take a stand man. Protest this shit. Because its getting to a boiling point. People will get hurt and killed over these shoes. Like its the 1990s all over again.